September 26, 2014

A Time to Dance

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens...A time to mourn, and a time to dance. 



A time to dance. A time to celebrate. A time to simply praise God because He is SO good. A time to let my heart be at peace - no matter where I am at or what I am doing or what is happening at that moment.


Mommy is mean. But some Kodak moments are worth fighting for.

But sometimes I forget. 

Sometimes, amongst the diapers and the bottles and the dishes and the laundry and the sharp toys I accidentally step on, I forget to dance.

I forget to let my prayers drip with the sweet honey of praise, and instead obsess over my requests and things I think need fixing. I forget to respond to life with adoration to the God who has already overcome the world, and instead respond with bitterness and anger.


Visiting our friends Victor and Max.

So today, I take time to dance.

Not in the physical way where I try to make my tree-like body move in ways that make other people feel uncomfortable. But in the worshipful way where I simply let my heart burst and my cup overfloweth with peace and love and joy. In the way I praise God for His acts of wonder.

Because life is full of moments both great and horrible, exciting and painful, mundane and magical. But every moment is an opportunity to let the name of the Lord be praised.

 So in that moment when our one-year-old is awake at 4:30 a.m., trying to jump on the bed and on top of me and I all I want to do is sleep, but then she stops to bend down and give me a big, slobbery kiss, and I feel like I might cry because it is all just too precious to handle…I am going to let my heart dance. I am going to let the name of the Lord be praised.


Who knew a park full of pigeons is a one-year-old's happy place?

And today, my heart is dancing. For all the great things God has done.

Because I was given the gift of going back to Guatemala: 10 days spent in a great school, with wonderful friends whom I love and with whom I share the same passions of education and faith and missions.

Wearing her "huipil" that was given to her as a gift from Papa Nano.

Because I have had the opportunity to be a part of the ACSI accreditation process with Inter-American School for the past three years. And while some days I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a fork rather than stare at the computer screen typing up documents for even another minute, it has been such a rewarding experience to be a part of! And guess what?! The ACSI External Review Team is recommending that IAS receive the full five years of accreditation!

I love these IAS ladies.

Because I got to spend time with a family who has invested so much into our lives and the life of our daughter, who care for her and love her and enjoy her. And I am reminded of the beauty of an entire “village” raising our child alongside of us.

It's breakfast time.

Jocelyn loves her Tio "Xela Pan"

Because I got to have some of those conversations that run deep through the heartstrings of my soul and get entangled into the issues of education and poverty and politics and faith and motherhood and remind me that while this world is not all that it should be, there are idealistic people full of Christ’s love out there who are trying to change it.

Being educated on all of life's greatest mysteries by Dr. Fox.

Because going on this trip blessed me in so many weird ways I didn't expect. Including giving me the “peace that passes understanding” that I have been waiting for and praying for ever since we moved back to the States.


We love the gifts we received!

Because while I loved getting to work for a week and being in a school atmosphere surrounded by awesome teachers again, I was also reminded of how much I love taking care of Jocelyn every day, and how much of a privilege and opportunity it is to stay home with her, to care for her, to watch her grow.

Feeding the bunnies.

Because even though I am so tired from traveling and would rather cut off my knees than smoosh them against the back of another plane or bus seat with a 26 pound, 2 foot toddler on top of them for three hours at a time, we have arrived safely home. And by “home,” I mean wherever my husband happens to be.


Oh my goodness gracious. Be still my mommy heart.

Because in so many ways, I can see how God has led me, provided for me, and sustained me from one stage of life to the next. Even though at times I doubted the directions He gave.

Showing off her huipil to the old men in the park.

Because even though goodbyes are once again painful, I know that I can praise God for the awesome things He has done for me in my life. My heart is grateful for the opportunities, tasks, and purpose He has laid out before me.


My heart is dancing. 


And today, I’m simply embracing it, celebrating it, and praising God for it.

Grace and Peace,
Kendra