December 8, 2013

Martha, Martha

While Jesus was traveling with his disciples, sisters Mary and Martha opened their home to him. When he arrived, Mary stopped what she was doing, sat at Christ’s feet, and listened to what he had to say.

Martha freaked out.

She was “distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.” She had a to-do list. She was a “work before play” kind of girl. If she could just get all the cooking and cleaning and preparations finished, then she might be able to sit with her guest. She even asked Jesus to scold Mary for her. “Lord, don’t you care that my sister left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”


I am a Martha. I am a “work before play…or die” kind of girl. I am a head down, charging through the day, trying to get everything done on my to-do list that never ends. I am usually charging so fast that I often don’t recognize the people or the opportunities I am charging by. I’d rather be crossing something off my list.

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


Mary knew. Mary recognized the opportunity in front of her, the amazing opportunity to simply sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to the words He said. Nothing else mattered. All her work, duties, and surrounding circumstances were properly put on the back burner as she sat at her Savior’s feet in precious fellowship with Him.

Jesus knew too. He knew that Martha needed a break. He knew that she needed to stop what she was doing, rest with him, and listen to his words of life. He knows that we still need that today.


Do I recognize my opportunities each day? The precious opportunities to stop, sit at Christ’s feet, and simply listen to what He is trying to say to me? No, not often enough.

Kendra, Kendra. You are distracted by all the preparations you think you have to make.

Shower, work, clean, wash, dry, email, errands, sweep, cook, rinse, tidy, collapse. Repeat.

Kendra, Kendra. You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.

Stop, sit at my feet, and listen to what I have to say.