September 2, 2012

Things that make me say "WOW!"

Some things in life make me say "WOW!"

Now, that "WOW!" can be interpreted in different ways. Sometimes the "WOW!" means, "Sheesh, that is amazing!" Sometimes it means "Really? You thought that was a good idea?!" And every so often it means "Oh my word, I could throw up from fright."

But here are a few things that have made me recently say "WOW!" You can decide which kind of "WOW!" it might be. They are quite random, but life here is quite random.

1. How great my first grade class is. This week we made a video in social studies about our school. It is pretty low quality, as it was shot on my digital camera and at some parts is difficult to hear. However, I think you can get the drift of how fun and cute they are.


2. A week-long power outage. As of now, rumors are flying about Xela being without electricity for the whole next week. Apparently the mayor of Xela has missed a few payments. (Q764,000,000 to be exact.) Refrigerators? Showers? Toilets? Stoves? It could be a long week. But we will not keep you posted, as we may be without power.

3. Monkey bread. Look what I figured out how to do with pancake mix. :)


4. This cat stuck in the window. Not sure how it got there, or how it is going to get out.


5. Spiders. Thankfully we really don't find a lot of big spiders up here in the mountains; really not many bugs at all. However, every once in awhile you run into one that makes your skin crawl. Take Exhibit A, for example. While working on lesson plans on March 30, 2012, five things happened.
#1. I saw Exhibit A crawl out from under our bed.
#2. I immediately began to perspire.
#3. I realized that Collin was not home to exteriminate it.
#4. I estimated its size to 2.5 inches and took a picture so that Collin would believe me.
#5. It met death by Collin's slipper.

Exhibit A: Nasty

Also take a good look at Exhibit B. It was first spotted in our apartment back in May. It was fast. Months later, it was randomly spotted on our wall as shown. It was about 3 inches wide. On August 26, 2012, it also met death by Collin's slipper.

Exhibit B: Unbelievably disgusting
6. Talented youngsters. Gotas de Luz (Drops of Light): 5 Guatemalan brothers who each play at least 4 different instruments and sing in 3 different languages. We had the pleasure of hearing them play at church this week. Here they are playing the marimba, the national instrument of Guatemala. I don't really like the sound of the Marimba, but they were so good at it.



7. My job. Did I mention that I love it? All of it: the teachers, the students, the planning, the challenges, and the love.


8. It's September. Time is flying.

9. Christ's humility. This week's sermon was on John 13, the story of Christ washing the disciples feet. Christ, the all-powerful Savior of the universe, set his rightful everything aside and humbled himself to come to earth and wash us clean. Furthurmore, he set an example for how we should live as his followers. "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, not is a messenger greater than the one who sent Him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." Words that should affect our relationships with family, friends, spouses, co-workers, bosses, and acquaintances.

I hope you find some things that make you say "WOW!" this week too. :)

Grace and Peace,
Kendra