January 21, 2012

Weekend Update

The top ten events from the last two weeks…in chronological order…

10) Sunday Service. At our church the other Sunday, there was a very upbeat time of singing and dancing. One woman, moved by the Spirit, even made her way up to the front with her hands in the air, dancing and praising God. It was quite beautiful, actually. The thing that got me was when she walked back to her seat and I noticed her shirt said “Hip-hop Don’t Stop.”

9) Going mute. I lost my voice for five days. It is hard to teach without a voice, or voice that sounds like a honking goose. My students and I just awkwardly whispered for a couple days.

8) “What I Did for Christmas Vacation.” It’s an assignment almost every elementary teacher gives their students. I learned that shooting off fireworks is a big tradition here on both Christmas Day and New Years Eve. Therefore, I got a variety of answers involving fireworks. “We berned fireworks,” “we burned fayr wrcs,” and “we pern fire words.”

7) Happy Birthday. My “room mom” planned a surprise party for me during lunch at school, complete with Dominoes pizza and a heavily frosted cake. I had no idea it was coming…hence, the “surprise party” part. The biggest surprise might have been when one of my students yelled out, “Mrs. Broekhuis, you have cake all over your butt!” Sure enough, there was pink and white frosting slathered all over my backside, and I had NO idea how it got there. Nothing a few wet wipes couldn’t handle.

Then, my “room mom” planned a dinner out with all of my parent’s students. We went to a very nice Italian restaurant. We ate very good food. They gave a nice speech. And the restaurant’s TV’s played “Happy Birthday” for a very, very long time.

Then, some of our dear teacher friends bought me a big cake and we watched “The Sandlot.” Classic.

6) Altitude. Getting back into the altitude makes me tired. How did I know? For three evenings straight all I want to do is turn on our new electric, life-saving blanket, curl up, and fall asleep. And then I look at the clock and it is 8:30pm.

5) Student Quotes.

“Mrs. Broekhuis, will you tell us when you are going to have a baby?”
“Mrs. Broekhuis, it smells like die pig!”
“Mrs. Broekhuis, you are the awesomest teacher in the whole universe!” (That one was my favorite.)

4) Fruits and Nuts. Every couple of days our doorbell rings, and it is our neighborhood fruit venders: two kids, about 10 and 12 years old. They are friendly and kind of crazy, but we enjoy seeing them and practicing our Spanish. The other day, they told us that they sold some fruit to a man sitting in his car. He bought Q30 worth of fruit and paid with a Q200 bill. They gave him his change and went on their way. When they got home, they looked at the bill more closely and realized that the man had paid with a fake Q200. Not only did they lose a lot of good fruit, but they are out Q170. Pretty crappy.

3) Basketball and Ladies Night. Collin is gone for the day at a basketball tournament on the coast. He is playing with the same team he practices with every Tuesday and Thursday. Hence, all the lady teachers are gathering for dinner and salsa dancing. Nope, I don’t know how to salsa dance.

2) Career Day. For social studies, five out of fourteen parents have been coming into class to talk about their professions. To give you an idea of the social-economic class of our school…the presentations include an engineer, a lawyer, two doctors, and a psychiatrist.

1) God is Faithful. Through all of the readjusting and getting back into life and work, God is faithful. We thank him for our work, our students, our friends, our family, and all the blessings in between. Just as the first graders begin their prayers: “Dear God, thank you for this beautiful day.”

Grace and Peace,
Kendra

 Feliz Compleanos a mi...


Where's Mrs. Broekhuis?