September 6, 2011

Inspiration

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video must be worth at least a million. I want to share the following videos, because they point to different people, places, and words that have both touched and inspired me until now, in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.

The first is a video that was first shown to me by Dean VanderMey. As a friend of his wonderful and spectacular daughter, Aubrie, I had the privilege of spending a few nights at the VanderMey home as a youngster. One thing I will always remember is sitting on the floor of their cottage in about 5th grade, asking a lot of questions about the Bible and spirituality, and then listening to Mr. VanderMey answer with his stories, experiences, and God-given wisdom. Last summer...maybe even two summers ago...I went to Set-Free Ministries, where Mr. VanderMey and Aubrie work. We went to Mr. VanderMey's office to catch up and say hello. Conversation once again turned into him answering many of my questions. Toward the end of the discussion, he pointed us to this video, "A Call to Anguish," by Dave Wilkerson. Rather than even attempt to describe its message, I will let the video speak for itself. Mr. VanderMey and Aubrie, I thank God for the blessing and inspiration that you have been to me and to so many other people.


The next video is a promotion for the blog and future book, "Kisses from Katie." This is a young woman who chose to go to Africa right out of high school, and now three years later is mom to 14 girls who used to be orphaned, with no future. Her life and her story are such a testiment to the gospel of Christ. She is busy being the light of Christ to her daughters and to many others in the heart of Uganda. I was introduced to her blog after my trip to Uganda two summers ago, which was eye-opening, to say the least. You can't come back from Africa without some form of change in your heart. I remember so much crying when I came back from that trip: crying for all of the children without parents, crying for all the starvation and desolation in Uganda, and simply crying because I had been exposed to things that must truly break God's heart, true anguish.


The next two videos are promotions for books that I read after returning from Africa. They carry a similar message: that the true Christian Gospel demands a lot more of us than what most of us realize or are willing to do. After coming back from Africa, I was now responsible for everything that I had seen there. These books helped put a lot into perspective after coming back from Uganda that summer. So, if you happen to have down time, I highly recommend Radical, by David Platte, and The Hole in Our Gospel, by Richard Stearns (World Vision President).




Last, but not least, I would like to give you a better inside look at the school we are working at in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. One of our fellow teachers here created this video. It gives a great look inside the school we are working at, as well as the city we are living in. So, if you are interested, follow the link below, and enjoy a little taste of what we are up to.

http://vimeo.com/28125381

Grace and Peace,
Kendra

Ps. The Guatemalan Presidential election is this Sunday. And on a lighter note, we still have our icky colds. Please pray.