August 9, 2011

Psalm 121

This past Saturday we went on a hike with some of our new teacher friends. The place we went to was called "La Muela," which means "the molar" in Spanish. This is simply because the mountain we hiked looks like a molar tooth from far away. Both Collin and I would admit that the hike was more intense than we expected. The elevation was killer at times. However, it was great to stop along the way and take in the gorgeous view.

Now, those who know me, know that I am a big chicken. I like to play it safe and not do things that have a high likelihood of injury...either to my body or my ego. This hike stretched that a bit. At one point in the hike, we literally had to climb up onto rocks and up a small cliff...no rope included. During this time I was wondering where the colorful hand and footholds were, like the ones you see on the rock wall at Dick's Sporting Goods. Unfortunately, those were not conveniently sticking out from the side of the mountain we were climbing.

But with patient friends and an encouraging husband, I was able to both climb up and crawl down the side of La Muela, and see some pretty majestic sights. During the hike, Psalm 121 kept running through my head, which is what I want to share now. It's amazing how God's Word brings comfort and peace that surpasses all understanding...at just the right times.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip - He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you - The Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more.

A few pictures from our hike...

"La Muela."
 We stopped at the local sauna on our way up. Water vapor comes out of the rock...and it is really warm.
 Xela is in the background.
 We stopped to take a look at the view...and suck in some air.
 Patchwork farms.
 The small cliff we had the pleasure of climbing.
 Happily at the top of mountain.
  Xela. Home sweet home.
It is hard to see, but on this mountain there were people worshiping. They were wailing and shouting and singing. It was rather eerie, as one can never be too sure who or what is being worshiped.